Tooth whitening is a popular and practical approach to getting a whiter, brighter smile for those who desire it. Exposure to dark, acidic foods and beverages, such as coffee and red wine, tends to discolour teeth. Because the tooth’s outer layer is porous, stains can seep into the minuscule holes and become difficult to remove with simple brushing.
Due to the fact that professional teeth whitening and stain removal opens up the pores, removes the stain, and then causes the pores to gradually shut, this is why many choose it. While teeth whitening is a very successful approach to getting rid of stains caused by food, drink, or tobacco use, some stains remain insurmountable.
What causes tooth staining?
Also known as extrinsic discolouring, external influences can cause your smile to darken. Red wine and blackberry juice, for example, both contain chromogens that adhere to the enamel of the teeth and stain them. If consumed frequently, the tannins in tea and coffee can turn teeth brown. Smokers will also experience this extrinsic discoloration since tobacco products’ chemicals create a yellow-brown deposit that adheres to the tooth’s surface.
Plaque can also result in staining. If ignored, this could cause tartar, a sticky yellow substance, to build up. In addition to teeth whitening and deep stain treatment, maintaining a healthy smile requires daily brushing, good oral hygiene, and yearly trips to the dentist.
How does tooth whitening remove stains?
While some causes of tooth discoloration can be minimized, only a dentist teeth stain removal process can effectively treat intrinsic and extrinsic discoloration. Since professional teeth whitening is a non-invasive technique, our dentist won’t make any changes to your teeth. Both drilling and anesthetic injections are not necessary. Without using veneers or other corrective alternatives, teeth whitening is the most efficient approach to getting a smile makeover.
For both intrinsic and extrinsic discoloration, professional teeth whitening uses a mix of hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide. It is perfectly safe and effective to have your teeth whitened by a dentist, and it may result in teeth that are three to six shades lighter.
How can you prevent tooth staining?
Take into account the following habits to avoid yellowing your teeth:
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Use fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth at least twice a day. To get rid of plaque and stop stains between your teeth, floss every day.
- Foods and beverages with moderate staining: Consume stain-causing foods and drinks in moderation, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and berries of a dark colour. Use a straw while consuming stain-causing liquids to reduce contact with your teeth.
- Avoid smoking: Avoid smoking and using tobacco products since they can seriously discolour teeth periodic dental cleanings To get rid of plaque and surface stains that cause discoloration, schedule routine dental cleanings.
- Consider whitening toothpaste: To help get rid of surface stains, use whitening toothpaste. You can also visit our dentist in Waterloo for teeth whitening treatment. Make an appointment with our dentist for routine professional teeth cleanings, which can help prevent and remove stains.
- Healthy eating: For optimal oral health, have a balanced diet that is high in fruits and vegetables. Gum without sugar can increase salivation, which helps wash the mouth and neutralize acids. To help wash away food residue and acids that may cause discoloration, drink plenty of water.
- Keep your smile safe: When engaging in activities that could harm your teeth, wear a mouthguard. Otherwise, injuries can lead to infection or decay which darkens the tooth.
Talk with Our Dentist to Learn More
Although everyone may be an eligible candidate for whitening, keep in mind that every smile reacts differently to stains and bleaching products. Ask our dentist at Harmony Dental Care for suggestions based on your unique scenario. They can walk you through the specifics of the treatment and help you decide on the best approach.