If you are missing teeth, you are not alone. Many individuals lose some teeth during their lifetime. Dental implants are among the most popular ways to replace missing teeth. When dentists suggest that patients get dental implants in Waterloo, they usually have questions about the procedure.
One of the most common questions dentists get is, “How long do dental implants last?”. Read on to learn the answer to this question and other significant information about dental implants.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
While we wish the answer to this question were simpler, the answer depends on several factors, such as how well the implants are cared for and if you have any other underlying medical conditions. Generally, you can expect your dental implants to last over 25 years, sometimes a lifetime.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants near you are a long-term, permanent solution for patients looking to replace their missing teeth. Implants can be used to replace one tooth, or they can be used to replace multiple teeth. If someone has little to no teeth, dental implants can be used to support dentures securely in the mouth.
Dental implants are made up of three separate parts:
• Implant: This is a titanium post surgically implanted into your jaw by our dentist in Waterloo. It mimics a tooth root and works to stimulate your jawbone.
• Abutment: This is used to hold the artificial tooth in place. This part stays above the gum line and is screwed onto the implant.
• Crown: The crown is what most people call the artificial tooth. Typically, crowns are made from ceramic and are fastened onto the abutment.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
When you visit our dental clinic near you to get dental implants, you will benefit from the following:
• Permanent restoration
• Creates a more youthful appearance
• More comfortable speaking and eating
• Prevents jawbone deterioration
• Boosts confidence
These are only some of the many benefits dental implants offer.
What Are the Alternatives to Dental Implants?
While dental implants are typically believed to be the best, most durable restorative option, they are not the only way to replace missing teeth. Some other options include dentures, dental bridges, dental crowns, and mini implants.
How to Make Your Implants Last
As mentioned earlier, dental implants can last upwards of 25 years. Some reasons that dental implants last less than or longer than this average lifespan are:
• Oral hygiene: People who maintain good oral hygiene will always have longer implants. It would help if you brushed your teeth for at least two minutes twice daily and flossed at least once daily.
• Food habits: Eating sugary, hard, or sticky foods can negatively impact dental implants. It is best to avoid these as much as possible.
• Smoking and drinking: Those who drink excessively or smoke cigarettes are at a higher risk of implant failure and oral cancer. If you want your dental implants to last, it is essential to avoid cigarettes and limit your alcohol intake.
Any More Questions About Dental Implants?
Our team at Harmony Dental provides dental implants for patients looking for a way to replace their missing teeth. Our team of dedicated dental professionals is happy to answer any of your questions or concerns and help you begin the process of getting dental implants! If you want to learn more about dental implants, please don’t hesitate to contact our clinic.